21.7.04

Where Does The Time Go?

AGH! This stupid game is giving me a headache. It was due a while ago, and I was lucky to get an extension, but now I'm STUCK. I'm getting weird linker errors I don't know how to fix. If you think you can help me, feel free to IM me.

Anyway, let's see, what all has happened in current events. Since my last post, that is. Let's see, my last MAJOR post was when I was on the way back from Jersey. Okay, that's a good way to segment it. Since then, what has happened to Greg? Well, first, the multiplayer deck I mentioned and then decided to not talk about got built. It was completely sucky, but that's okay, cuz its for multiplayer. I built it really hurriedly, though, because last Friday I took it out to a Multiplayer tournament. Actually, a 2v2 teams format, which was fun. It preformed horribly. Absolutely horribly. However. I did manage to resolve my game winning combo once, so the night wasn't a complete loss. In fact, that was my goal for the night: to play a kickered Desolation Angel with Last Laugh and Sphere of Grace on the table. (Don't worry if you don't understand it; basically doing that meant "I won".)

After going losing two rounds out of two, Matt and I decided to leave. Our destination: I, Robot. Despite my anger with the movie earlier, I do have to admit, this movie was spot on to Asimov, with the minor exception of a robot brain being purposefully built without the three laws. Even the red lights, which I had laughed at when I first saw them in the previews ("Why are the robots going from blue to red?" "Well, cuz they're angry, I guess." "Okay, why would USR equip their robots with lights for that occasion?"), even they served a purpose and made sense in the context of the film. It was great, and not quite the dumb action shooter I thought it would be, though you are welcome to view it as such. The special effects were fantastic. (The movie is like the Matrix in that while you CAN enjoy it as just an explosive action film, if you take the time to think during the film, you will get a little more out of it.) Also, though I haven't heard plans for a video game, I believe it has the possibilities to make an exceptional movie-game like "Goldeneye" was on the N64. Were I to make it, I would have a gaming engine simlar to Grand Theft Auto 3 and on, though with more emphasis on the non-car parts, as well as a tighter storyline rather than the random "Greet person, accept misson, do mission, repeat" game that GTA is. Don't get me wrong. I love that kind of game, but when basing the game on a movie, the storyline should take a little more precidence. (I'm under the impression that Spiderman 2's game succeeds very well without a tight storyline, but for I, Robot, I believe a tighter storyline is neccessary.)

Wow. I really had a lot to say about that movie. One small side note: while in the theater, I saw a mother and her two young daughters. Young as in like 3-5ish, which I thought might be a little young for the movie. Oh well. It wasn't really too bad, so whatever.

Also in the news for me: .hack fever. Or something. I dunno, ever since I noticed they were showing .hack//Legend of the Twilight on Cartoon Network, I've been scrabbling to watch and read everything about it as possible. The third volume of the manga is still a few months off, but until then, I have pleanty to keep me occupied. Legend of the Twilight is great, and I bought the first volume box set DVD (which comes with the soundtrack too! ^-^), as well as set my TiVo to record it. I will still buy the newer DVD's, though, because I have this funny belief about actually paying for things I like. *Shrugs* I've gone on that rant before. Also, I got from matt all 27 eps of the original .hack//Sign, and the four Luminality episodes. Both are subtitled, though, making following the majorly dialogue based story a little harder while doing other things. I will watch it, though. I also am still entertaining thoughs of creating a game like "The World", the emmersive MMORPG .hack takes place in. I'm pretty sure the technology is all there, it just needs to be implimented. One issue: the specialized controls for the game. More on that later, maybe.

I HAVE A DVD BURNER!!! YAY!!!! *Installs it, waits...* IT DOESN'T WORK!!! Grrr.... Yes, when I noticed my grandfather had 3 DVD-RW burners and only two computers, I decided to take one off his hands. Unfortunately, the software isn't there. I shall have to spend a bit more money on my quest. I was at Fry's Electronic's last night, buying bargin blank discs (try saying that 3 times fast), and decided to get a program to let me burn. Unfortunately, I only had enough money for a cheapo brand program. It SAID it burned DVD's as well as CD's. The Fry's employee I consulted said that as well. (He recommended the 60$ program, but I didn't have enough for it; point is he said the 20$ one would work.) Guess what guys. It. Doesn't. Work. I'm pissed.

I had more, lost it. Later days. Pizza time. All that.

No comments: