14.8.06

Random Surprise Manga!

Well, I was looking for my notebook that I used as a journal of sorts while I was on break. I figured it was time to write up all that great stuff I'd written in the middle of the night while watching the Daily Show. Even on vacation, I have no life. X_X To make matters worse, I couldn't find the notebook. However, the bug has bitten, so I shall begin writing.

Whilst looking for the notebook, I found a couple of manga volumes I'd thought I'd lost. Rosen Maiden vol 1 and Kingdom Hearts vol 3. Last time I'd seen them, I'd left them in Jersey at my dad's place. Apparently PJ and Danny managed to bring them back. So now my backlog is growing. I've got those two to read (even though I already read KHv4, so yeah...) plus I'm half way through Negima vol 9, and the first sets of Strawberry Marshmallow (I hate saying that, I wish they'd kept it as Ichigo Mashimaro) and something called Q-Ko-Chan, about an alien robot girl, or some such nonsense, by the guys who did FLCL, and you can really tell. I'm pretty sure I've already talked about Negima, just look WAAAY WAAAY back for it, but Ichigo Mashimaro I might have neglected. Now that it's been localized, I've got to recommend it to everyone I know. It is absolutely the cutest series on the face of the planet, and as near as I can tell the entire purpose of it is to be cute fluff. No epic plots, no on-going drama, just light silly fluff about four elementary aged girls and the teenager who has to watch over them. Cute, not lolicon.

In other realms of media, I've gotten my hands on a few spiffy DVD's. V for Vendetta was great. I only saw it in theaters the once, and that was all it took to make me want to own it for ever and ever. I've watched it on DVD twice now, on back to back nights. Totally worth it. Ranks up there with the original Matrix movie. I've also gotten a few cartoon DVD's, as is my want. Strawberry Marshmallow vol 1 and Teen Titans season 1. I'm watching the latter now, on my brand spiffy old laptop, which has been designated my Media Machine whilst I game or surf the Internet. It's basically what I was using my 2nd monitor for when it was in a dual monitor setup, only now it doesn't take any RAM or processor power while I'm playing WoW.

So yeah, I'm up to my armpits in manga and movies. That's all cool and fun. I'm also up to my eyeballs in work. I was working like 3 days a week, max, over Summer break. Apparently, now that school's back in session, all the high schoolers are quitting, and my work week just shot from 18 hours to the full 40. X_X~ I'd prefer 20-30, honestly. Maybe something like 25, and you call me now and again to come in and pick up hours. Ah well. So I'm working five nights a week. The money isn't too bad, and I like what I do, for the most part. Better than being in food service or clothing retail.

Speaking of writing bugs (I swear I was earlier...) I wanna do another installment in my Detective Greg Series that I love so much. I have a semi-loose story idea, and some concepts I'd like to include. I'm aiming for something a tad more epic than the previous issues, and more mature, with less random sex for the purpose of random sex. Epic, and a little real romance, maybe with just a hint of yaoi. ^_^

That's really gotten to be a pet peeve of mine. Movies / stories where people fall in love just because the writer wants them too. I was watching V for Vendetta, for instance, and that's one where I could kinda see where the romance was coming from. Evey was in love with V because of Stolkholm syndrome, and V wanted vengance more than anything. But in lots of other stories, you just see them fawning over each other for no apparent reason. Is that love? Really? I mean, I can undestand it in comedies, where "love" is a plot device and not really an important factor. But for something like the Matrix, where Neo and Trinity were only in love because they said so... I dunno, it just felt off. It worked in the first one, but fell apart for the second two. So yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

So in my story, my new one, I'm gonna show some real love. Maybe writing can do it easier than film. The written word has a tendancy to be introspective, while film shows only the surface, and, when introspection is needed, only vague images are shown, a 2D interpretation of what is usually a 4D affair of the mind. The mind does not show up well on photographs, though. It can be narrated, sometimes.

Okay, my brain is pretty fried. I bid you all farewell, for now. Hopefully I can get around to actually writing this story. And if any of you wanna draw it in comic form, that might work, too. *Shrugs.*

No comments: