25.8.06

What Do I Want For Christmas?

It's Fall. Well, not technically, but pretty much. School is starting, temperatures are dropping, and not as many people are wearing swimsuits to Target anymore. So what does all this mean? It's time for me to write up a Christmas List.

Usually it's not a hard task. Just write up a list of thing I want and forward it to everyone in my family. But this year I have a couple of quandries. The first being that I think I got ONE thing off my list between both my birthday and Christmas. Not that I don't appriciate the one thing, or that I didn't get some other stuff that was pretty cool, too. It's just... I got a lot of stuff that, honestly, wasn't. I have the problem of liking Star Wars and Transformers. So, even without looking at the list (the real reason I have to get these things out early) all they have to do is look for a toy within whatever they've decided is their price range that's been branded with one of those logos and voila, I am satisfied.

...Yeah right. What am I supposed to do with a Darth Vader sprinkler? Or a half dozen Minicons from a Transformers series I never liked? Where's the video games I asked for? Or maybe the book? Or those movies? Why the hell did I get I <3 Huckabees?

Maybe I'm selfish. I mean, I dunno. Should I resist asking for things over $20? I can't really think of anything I want under that price range. Movies maybe, and the occasional Transformer. This year is actually pretty good in the Transformers front, between the Titanium series and Cybertron's toys being not so bad, so hopefully I'll get a whole bunch more of those.

Of course, the other problem I have this year that wasn't really an issue in years past is that I have a job and a paycheck. When there's something I want, I buy it. I no longer HAVE to wait until late December for things I want. This instant gratification is probably bad for me, though, beyond the obvious problem of metaphorically cutting the legs out from under my Wish List.

One other problem that just sorta hit me is: I want a few things that might not be the best things to unwrap in a family setting. Do I really wanna explain how a show about inner city black kids living in a white suburb (The Boondocks DVD set) got on my Christmas list? Or the adventures of four Japanese schoolgirls (Strawberry Marshmallow)? Or... well, lets just say my wish list is rated PG-13, and my family isn't, really.

What I think I'll do is start another blog. This one is going to be a Wish list only journal. I'll have the first post dated for Christmas of this year, keeping it on top until after the big day (and maybe moving it back every year and keeping it a running thing. I'll edit new posts with things I want and why I want them, but keep the main top post as a comprehensive list of the things I want, and release dates. I'm wondering if it would be tacky to post prices for the things I want? Probably. Anyway, I'll give you guys that link when I get it up and running. Bye for now.

No comments: