12.10.06

Special Spooky Edition

So I just noticed I'm posting this on Friday the 13th. Fun, huh? I suppose I should have some Halloween tips or something, but I've got nothing on my mind tonight about that. Just a couple random blurbs I wanted to write in before I went to sleep.

Here's how my day started off. After getting to bed late, I woke up to my alarm at 6:30. Then I went back to sleep, and when I checked my clock (actually my DS), it was 7:10. Time for me to leave for school. X_X. So I got up, rushed to get dressed, and decided that I should let the Windows Updates install so I could shut my computer down while I was off at school (something I've decided to do more and more often, so don't panic if you try to reach me and I'm not online.) That, of course, went as slow as possible, so I wasn't out the door until like 7:40, at the earliest. And, just so you know, my Japanese class on Tuesdays and Thursdays starts at 8:15. It's a 50 minute drive on a good day. And I had to stop and get gas.

So I get to the class door at 8:45, preparing myself for the embarassment of showing up thirty minutes late, when I see a little note on the door. "Class canceled. Reason: Instructor ill." Not exactly that, it was a little form thing, fill in the blanks, but that was the gist of it. Talk about a let-down.

I ended up going home and not working on any of the homework due for my other classes. I don't think tonights the night to talk about my recent lack of enthusiasm, but I'll get it off my chest sooner or later.

I had a couple of odd thoughts tonight. Before going to bed, as is my custom, I sat in front of the TV, ate a bag of popcorn, and watched recent episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on TiVo. Tonight I switched things up by playing Tetris online while doing so (Stephen's special on "Ladies" didn't have a word, so I didn't get too distracted.)

First, let me just say that the Daily Show's new feature, "THE SEAT OF HEAT," is a bad move for the show. If you don't know, they've added a section on the show with graphics and everything to ask the "one tough question" of their guest. It's a comedy show, so the questions aren't serious, but notable examples include asking Bill Clinton the one tip that would allow competitors to defeat his wife in an upcoming political campaign; having a former presidential advisor to numerous presidents choose who he would save in a boat accident, George H.W. Bush or George W. Bush; and asking the catch-phrase-less comedian David Cross what he would choose for his catchphrase. And the question asked is always funny, don't get me wrong, I'm just questioning whether, when having a semi-serious discussion with current and former heads of state and other serious figures, the graphical cheesyness is neccesary for the effect. Really, they could tone down the graphics and simply ask the ridiculous hard question. I mean, it's not like the segment alone will kill the show, but I hope it's not the start of a new trend for them.

On the DS front, I'm having an identity crisis. My screen name of choice from when I bought the system onward was "Effervescence", except it doesnt allow that many characters, so it was just "Effervesce." You can't name yourself a verb. It's just not done. So anyway, after my amazing Japanese lessons, I learned how to write my name in Hirigana. Gu-re-go-ri, more or less. So I was playing the game and noticed a bunch of other Japanese names. I figured that, since it was around midnight here, it must be players from Japan early in the morning. I honestly have no idea what the demographics are for Tetris players throughout the world. Then it hit me. How stupid must I look having an obviously American name written in Hirigana. I really am a Weeaboo. x_x So I need a new name. I just changed it over to Guregori, only written in Katakana, the Japanese alphabet for words taken from other languages. At the time I wrote my name, I only new Hirigana, so I couldnt do the Katakana version until now.

But still, I'm going to be getting online a lot more often, especially when Pokemon Diamond and Pearl come out, with Wi-Fi enabled battling and trading. And I'm not sure I want my username to be my real name, written in a language most people I'll be playing with can't read. Effervescence is too long, and hell, most people don't understand that word, either. (For the record, it means "having bubbles, or being light-hearted in nature.") I've been moving towards "Grotto." I like the word, for some reason. Not neccesarily the bodies of water named after it, but as a word, as a series of letters meant to convey meaning, I like the image produced. So if you ever run across a guy named Grotto with a level 100 Pochama (or whatever it evolves into, the giant steel penguin thing), it may just be me. Or not, who knows?

No comments: