3.4.07

The Return

Hey, you all ready for bed? Brushed your teeth, washed up? Good, good. Oh, a bedtime story? Sure, I've always got time for one of those. And today I've got a great one for you. You see, today, on my way home, I saw a dragon. She was shining white, and enormous. It had to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. As I was stepping out side, she landed softly in front of me. "Hello, Greg," she spoke, with a voice that rang through my mind like a chorus. "My name is Leona. Come, let me show you my kingdom."

Now, I've never been one to turn down a dragon, so I got on her back, and found a nice little seat snuggled in between two of her vertebrae, right below her neck. She beat her huge wings and in a heartbeat we were among the clouds, looking down on the city, the whole state, and then, eventually, the ocean was rushing past beneath us.

Soon, an island came into view. It was a lush paradise, verdant and green, with dragons soaring through the clouds. Hundreds of dragons, in every color of the rainbow, and of every shape and size imaginable. Cerulean dragons playing in the water, emerald dragons darting though the trees, and crimson dragons soaring in and around the smoking volcano at the center of the island.

It was then that the whole island started to shake, and suddenly, the mountainside burst open. A huge black smoking dragon soared outward and roared a horrible roar that echoed across the island. All the other dragons looked at this dragon in terror. I turned to Leona to ask her what was going on, when all of a sudden, I knew.

In my head, memories filled in. Memories of a time long past, when this horrible dragon, Blackmaw, ruled over the dragons' island with tyranny and hatred. It was like this for centuries, until one fateful day, when all the dragons, as one, rose up and defended their freedom from Blackmaw. I saw the battle as it was waged, like it was yesterday. I felt Leona's sadness as she witnessed her friends being slain at the dragon-kings hand. I felt her triumph when the good dragons finally defeated in battle. And I witnessed in awe the sight of twelve dragon elders, near-gods themselves, sacrificed their power to seal Blackmaw in the volcano.

Now, the seal had been broken. No one knew why, or how, or what to do now. There were no longer twelve dragon elders who could seal Blackmaw away. The only outcome seemed to be defeat. Again, I felt Leona's sadness, this time not as a memory but a current emotion. Hope seemed to be lost amongst the dragons.

In frustration I reached for whatever I could to attack Blackmaw with. Even if the dragons were going to give in to his rule, I refused to go down without a fight. I began picking up rocks, and threw them at the black dragon with all my might. I felt somewhat dismayed as they bounced harmlessly of his ebony scales, but I did manage to attract his attention. The large dragon snorted, and turned to look at me. His nostrils flares and he puffed thick smoke in annoyance. His eyes burned into me like hot embers. I was paralyzed, partly by fear, and partly just in shock at what a powerful creature now stood before me, its powerful back legs extended as it prepared to take me out with a single breath of hot flame.

I could feel the heat emanating from Blackmaw's mouth, and prepared myself for the worst, when I felt a sudden bump. All of a sudden, I was mounted on Leona again, soaring away from Blackmaw. "Thank you!" I cried to her.

"Don't thank me yet," came the responce, "I'm going to need a favor from you, Greg."

"Name it." I was now willing to give my life to save the dragon who had fearlessly risked hers for mine.

We alighted at the top of the mountain. Rather than the black ash of the volcano I had seen from the ground level, at the peak was a verdant valley, filled with natural beauty. Right in front of Leona and me stood a chest. "Open it." Leona nudged me forward, and when I turned to look at her I was glad to see that hope had returned.

With a heave I pushed the lid off the chest. Inside I found a shimmering white sword. I picked it up by the hilt, and even though it was light, far lighter than it looked, I could still sense a great sensation of power emanating from the blade. Leona no longer had to vocalize her wish. With this sword, I would slay Blackmaw.

We rode out of the valley and dove down to find the island covered in flames. Water dragons who tried to put the fires out with bursts of cool water found themselves vulnerable themselves to a jet of flame from Blackmaw. Still, the dragons valiantly fought against Blackmaw. The hope I had seen in Leona's eyes now radiated throughout them all.

I stood on her back as we neared the great onyx beast, and took a soaring leap from Leona onto Blackmaw. The monster never even knew what hit him. I landed tip first, digging my blade deep into his ribcage. He let out an abominable scream, the ugliest sound I'd ever heard, before finally collapsing on the beast. His mighty lungs let out one last puff of smoke before coming to their eternal rest.

Dragons across the island sang my accolades. I stayed with them throughout the night, enjoying their hospitality and friendship. Eventually, as the sun rose the next morning, I bade my farewells to my new friends, wondering if I would ever see them again. Leona gave me a ride back home, and then vanished into the sky, too sad at the thought of leaving me to even hear me tell her goodbye. I wiped a tear from my eye, because I would miss her so much, but I still do have the happy memories of my adventure with her, and that makes me glad.

So anyway, that's why I missed your class play yesterday. Gnight!

No comments: