10.4.07

"World of Warcraft Teaches the Wrong Things"

This is old, but I decided to link it anyways. It basically says that WoW teaches the wrong lessons, such as "time spent is more important than what was actually done" and "group play is better than solo."

Interestingly enough, I was linked there from a Pokemon thread dealing with EV Training in an open, Online envirnment. For those of you who don't know, EV training is the practice of beefing up a particular stat by having it battle only certain Pokemon. There are lists out there that tell you which monsters you should battle to give a boost in Attack, Defence, Speed, etc. It's a fairly time consuming process, and without a great deal of algebra (thankfully done by other people) completely hidden from view. So while it's fairly well-known in fanboy circles, to the thousands of grade-schoolers who don't check out Pokemon websites (i.e. the majority of the market-share) aren't aware of it. In the thread, I mention that to an uninformed viewer, an EV trained Pokemon battling a non-trained member will seem to be "hacked" because of the difference in power.

I dunno, it's late and I've got work in the morning. I suppose I'll end up with three teams, though, when I get my WiFi team ready:

1: A competitive, EV trained team (well balanced, pretty much the strongest set I can find).
2: An EV trained team of Ubers (all the legendary Pokemon that are already head and shoulders above the rest; considered cheap by most competitive players).
3: A goofy, non-trained "show team" (probably just 6 Eevee evolutions doing whatever I feel like).

Oh, one last thing, this guy Sirlin has some pretty cool things written on the rest of his site. I recommend checking it out.

No comments: