20.8.04

AGH! SPAM!! And Other Thoughts

Just as I started this, I got a spam e-mail. They suck. I highly reccommend against them. In fact, I may be getting a new email address, prolly still with Hotmail, but still "Gee-Tom fifty-five fifty-six at Hotmail dot com" can be an mouthful in spoken words. Oh well.

Before I get a new addy, though, I'm gonna wait for a reply to an e-mail I sent earlier today. I found the site www.JesusIsHitler.com and was reading through their hatemail. The people who's letters get tapped for those sections are always the funny ones, or at least the easiest to make fun of. As I was reading through, one in particular caught my eye:

----- Original Message -----
From: marlese fairgray
To: Jesusishitler@Jesusishitler.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 8:16 PM
Subject: ur wrong


how dare you say that when jesus has sacraficed his life so that yours could be saved. he went through all that pain so he could save you and all you can do is say that. Your only using him as someone to blame for your countries past unfortunes. if you were to believe in him he would come and save you all but you denied him, you have brought it on yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you have any responses at all or any truthful information on him, read the new teasetament of God or email me at surf_chick102@hotmail.com

----------

Note that the email posted there doesn't work anymore, apparently she got tired of reading the flood of people blindly telling her she was dumb for insulting a joke site or something. I sorta felt sorry for adding to the mess, but I had this strange urge to send her this message:

----------

Hello-
I'm sure you've gotten about a hundred e-mails about this already, but I was just wondering, when you wrote in, did you honestly believe they were serious about it, or were you just playing along? As I read through the hatemail, I got an inkling that all the e-mails were faked by the sites creators, because, in all honesty, they're the funniest part of the site. You're not so much (I couldn't hear what the media clip responce was after your letter), but the amazing hate at what is obviously a joke site is just hilarious.
I agree, it's a terrible site. The jokes aren't all that funny (I found the original letters MUCH more amusing than the stupid responces given by the authors, but then they are trying to play a part), but I have a thing for obviously wrong logic errors. "Jesus and Hitler have never been seen together at the same time." "Both were picked on in High School." Those two statements are almost contradictory in argument, and a five-year-old could point out the fact that simply because they both have seperate instances of going to high school prooves that they are seperate people.
However, these people aren't the ones you should be calling non-believers. They are posting a joke on the internet. A distasteful joke, to be sure, but just a joke. They do not believe that Jesus was Hitler any more than you do. They know that it is impossible. I might even assume that they could be closer to Jesus than you would think, simply because they feel comfortable applying humor to their beliefs. As a wise man once said:
"...religion [is] only good and only in balance when they have a sense of humor. When they don't, things go awry. All we have to do is look at our enemy. That's a group that does not have a sense of humor. That's a group that's just snapped. And that's what happens when you don't laugh. You get all wound up in what you're believing in and no one's going 'ha ha!', and you're screwed."
I'll leave you with that remark. Thanks for your time.
-Greg Levine

P.S. - If you're wondering why I chose to send this to you, it's no reason in particular. You're e-mail seemed more intelligent than most, and you did list your e-mail address and offer to discuss the issue. Feel free to respond if you want.
PPS - I just tried to send this e-mail to surf_chick102@hotmail.com (the one you asked to be reached at) and it was offline. I hope you don't mind me using this one.

-----------

I really hope she reads it. She strikes me as intelligent. Enough, anyway, to have an enjoyable correspondance with her. Either way, though, it just felt good to get that whole spiel off my chest. It wasn't directed at her personally, just that group of humorless Christian fanatics who can't stand to have Jesus made fun of. Sigh, I'm gonna try to not reiterate what I said in the e-mail, and just move on.

Moving on... That's what I'm gonna do on Sunday. Leave Austin. Destination: Lubbock. Texas Tech, precicely. And I'm actually really excited to get out of the house and go. I WAS gonna leave today, because my Grandpa's got a Reunion of sorts there tomorrow, and we coulda carpooled and such, but yesterday he called and said he wasn't gonna be up to it. So I slacked off. I really need to pack clothes and books and movies and that'll be it. I already pretty much know what I'm taking. It'll be great. Plus I get a whole week up there before classes start. Just me and my T1 line. Oh, and Matt. Matt will be there too. He's cool, so don't worry. I'm sure I'm in good hands.

I'm going on a video game diet for the rest of the year. I won't buy any new games until Christmas. And I'm not gonna have a PS2 in my dorm until then, either. My only form of entertainment will be my laptop. And my Game Boy. And my books. And TV. And my Magic cards. Yes, I'm bringing my Magic cards. All of them. ALL OF THEM!!!! They will be sorted, and hopefully made into a few decent decks. I've been having a string of losses lately, and want to make some better decks and rebuild the ones I've got. I'm thinking of branching out into an extended deck, despite not having anything before Invasion, really. *Shrugs.* I'll be able to get the cards I need. Oh yeah, IM GONNA HAVE A GAMING STORE RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET!!! (Magic store, not like an EB or something. That would make me break my diet.) That is a major plus, especially considering I don't have a car. I'll have a bike, though, and campus is pretty flat, so I'll be okay, except for getting out to the mall or what have you.

This gaming diet thing is really hitting me at a bad time, though. Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green are coming out. I was planning on buying one, and giving the other to my cousin for Christmas. Yeah, I'm a stinker. Also, Final Fantasy I & II Advanced are coming out. As is Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I need ALL THESE GAMES (well, only one of the Pokemon Games, but still...) Hopefully, I'll get them for Christmas.

Anyway, with all that going on I just have one question for you all: Were you listening to me? Or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?


Look again.

Bam.

Later guys.

No comments: