24.2.06

Not Talk This Way, Yoda Should... Mmm...

So I've been thinking about it, and I need to go back to see The Empire Strikes Back another time. You see, I don't think that they really intended for Yoda to truely speak in his odd backwards talk. At least, not completely. Here's what I think happened. When Luke lands on Dagobah, looking for a "great warrior" of a Jedi Master Yoda appears as an old crackpot alien. He certainly looks the part. Short, green, dressed in rags, and talking crazyspeak.

Luke plays along, since the little green man says he will take him to Yoda, but eventually loses his temper. "I cannot teach him," Yoda says. "The boy has no patience." He's speaking fluent English (Basic, for all those SW Fans out there), no longer in the backwards talking manner of the crackpot. If he were, the structure would look more like "Teach him I cannot. No patience has the boy." Something like that, anyway. Nope, here we see Yoda speaking the way we expect a wisened old Jedi Master to speak.

However, he does slip up a few times. Nothing major, and still in proper grammer, barely, but enough to reinforce the idea that he can't talk. "Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?" "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny; consume you it will." If you wanna stretch it, that "forever" could be "for ever", and in that sense it works. But I think that someone at Lucasfilm heard the idea that Yoda would be speaking funny for the first bit of his appearance, and just missed the fact that it was only his first bit. That's why we get classic lines like "Your father he is," and "Around the survivors a perimeter create!" X_X

Anyway, join me next time when I explain which Spiderman movie was better and why.

No comments: