9.5.06

Ultimate Showdown

So I had this idea at work. It may turn out to be a disaster, but right now I think it's brilliant. The premise is this: Some benevelant / ambivolent extra-demensional being has created a tournament, the prize of which is that he will grant any one wish. He is calling for competitors from across the multiverse. For those of you that are not nerds, multiverse is geek-talk for "all the different alternate realities in fiction." So like, Batman and Superman live in one universe, Spiderman and the X-Men live in another, the Transformers in another, and James Bond in another, etc... So basically there's a tournament open to any fictional character ever. And I'm gonna write it.

A few ground rules: The character's have to be from established fiction. Johnny 5 from Short Circuit is in, but the robot I wrote about in my 4th grade writing paper is not. And generics are no good, simply because they're, well, too generic. A storm trooper is not an elegibal, but TK-422 is. Neither are actual people allowed in. Chuck Norris is not allowed in, despite how awesome he might be. I further believe that he would not be a good competitor because, despite how awesome he may be, his skills are purely awesome, but not really practically awesome. The ability to divide by zero or cry tears that cure cancer will not help a man defeat an opponent. On the same token, YOU are not eligible, simply because, well, you're not fictional. It's gotta be a fictional person. Teams are admissable, so long as the team exists in a fictional media (Batman and Spiderman cannot form a team, but the X-men can). During the course of the tournament, alliances between competitors may be formed, whereby one side chooses to concede and join up with their opponent, should they have adequate reason to do so. Superman is not gonna team up with Elmo, but he might team up with Optimus Prime, because they have similar goals.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about books, movies, TV shows, Anime, comics, manga, video games, , whatever fictional realm you want to have represented. And this is where you come in. Who do you wanna see in the fight? Spyro the Dragon? Tom and Jerry? Strider the Ranger? Take your pick. Submit your favorite(s) and I'll create a 16 man bracket (maybe more if I get a lot of submissions) at random, and begin writing down how the fights play out. I'm not gonna stack the ranks with my own players right off the bat, but I will add in a few if I need to even it out.

So what are you waiting for? AIM me, E-mail me, or just leave a comment here: who do you think is the baddest dude out there?

No comments: