2.8.07

Emergencies And Other Trivialities

Someone's window just crashed in near my house. I'm not sure why. I feel like I should do something, but what? Call 911?
-911, what's your emergency?
-Uh, yeah, I think my neighbor's glass door may be broken.
-So do you want us to send some police over to look at it, or what?
-Yeah, I guess. Texas has emergency carpenter service, right?
God bless the hardworking men and women of Texas' ECS, who give their lives in the never ending battle against termites.

As I was driving around earlier tonight, I realized my Zune doesn't have any lights when it's on after the 15 second wait before the backlight goes off. Same goes for iPods and, I just noticed, my cell phone. I find this somewhat weird. Before this, whenever I had something electronic in my hands, I could tell at a glance if it was on or off. But in fact, as near as I can tell, iPods and Zunes NEVER really turn off, they just go into a standby mode. I wonder how this affects plane traffic. They say they want all your electronic devices shut off. How do I do that with my Zune? Or, for that matter, a wrist watch? I dunno, but whoever figures out a way to make an airplane-safe MP3 player will make a mint. I dunno if it's even possible, though. I'd have to do more research into figuring out why they ask you to turn off electronics in the first place.

Speaking of things I need to figure out, I've decided I need an "Oh Shit" backpack. By that, I mean a backpack I can pick up, put on, and run out the door with. Btw, I just finished watching the Bourne Identity, so that may be playing a big part of that. But I've got a few ideas for what I'm gonna need.
Cash - Probably about $500 in small bills, not too much, but enough that I can get to a motel for a few days till I figure something else out.
Flash Drive - loaded up with it's own little goodies, mostly an instance of Portable Firefox with a homepage set to a fresh and clean Gmail account and a specialized foxmarks account that includes stuff like 10 minute mail and other stuff. Basically, the flash drive is there to serve as a separate digital identity for me aside from my normal one. I'll probably also keep images of important documents and such on there.
Digital Camera - Taking pictures of stuff, obviously. Hopefully something that I can use to take pictures quickly without being noticed.
Pre-Paid Phone - I'll need to check and see if the minutes expire on stuff like this. If not, I'll just activate the phone and leave it there so it's good to go, otherwise I'll have to get to an Internet Cafe and activate it then and there. I'd obviously prefer the first option, though.
Swiss Army Hammer - I've seen these before. It's like a Swiss Army knife (lots of little tools, knives, corkscrews, screwdrivers, etc) but with a hammer on the end. Seems like it could come in handy.
Duct Tape - Oh yeah, I'm going the full MacGuyver here.
Battery-less Flashlight - Target has one of these. You shake it back and fort and a little magnet generates your power. I've seen ones that you pump a handle to go, but those are noisy. Not sure if I'd wanna make so much noise when I'm trying to hide. Unfortunately, the one I saw at Target was sorta broken, and also very cheap looking. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more like this.
Clothes - Whatever I've got on my back, plus a light hoodie, a jacket (I'd wear one or the other out the door), white t-shirt, jeans, socks, underwear, etc. Plain stuff, nothing eye catching. Also a ball cap, plain as well.
Eyewear - I usually wear glasses, so I'd probably want a spare pair in the bag. I'd also wanna pack some contacts and sun glasses.
More - I'm sure I've forgotten something, but I'll get to it later.
My left eye is twitching up a storm; I should probably get to bed.

Also from watching the movie, mostly from the line "...at this altitude, I can run flat out for a half mile before my hands start shaking." This strikes me as a useful talent. The fact that he knew it just instinctively maybe less so, but I need to work on my own personal fitness. I'm not ashamed to admit that Matt Damon is an attractive man, and if I ever wanna be that good looking, an exercise regimen is in order. I'll probably start jogging. I wonder what the local high school would think if I just started jogging around the track every day...

Not tonight, though. Too dark, and I'm too tired.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Hooray, you've blogged not just one, but TWO times while I wasn't looking! So I've got a couple questions for you.. did you really have that convo with 911? and what the hell is a Zune?