20.8.07

Ever Heard Of The Jena Six?

Well, now you have.

Damn. That's pretty much all I have to say right now. Damn. Damn the system, damn the man, damn me for not being able to do anything more about this than sitting here and telling you that right now, in some tiny town in Louisiana, six people are being treated grossly unfairly. This story borders on an abomination of everything that I stand for as a human being, and what I believe this country should be about.

I had an interesting phrase pop into my head earlier today. It had nothing to do with this, but it seems relevant. "When is the American Dream going to stop being just a dream and actually be America." Or words to that effect. Basically, when is this country going to stop dreaming about the truths our forefathers held to be self evident, and actually live them out.

I need to find a bus to Jena, or just drive there some weekend and... Do what, exactly? Sit under the "White Tree" in protest? I'm too white. It would probably just get me beat up. Sigh. I don't have any money to donate, either. I'm too poor. I dunno, though. I should find a petition or something. I wonder if they'd let me wear a button to work that said "Free the Jena Six." Probably not. ._.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
-Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Words this true are not spoken often enough, and are heard even less.

P.S. - Add this to the list of stories they should put on the news: Stories of true injustice. Not "I didn't know the coffee would be hot," or "No one told me to remove my baby from the stroller before closing it." The kind where innocent people are being punished for being born. Being born is never a crime, no matter who you are.

No comments: