9.4.04

I'm So Brilliant I Amaze Myself

Somehow, I got talking about the Laws of Conservation of Matter and Energy. They're fun little dealies. Matter cannot be destroyed or created. Ditto for energy. So, this got me thinking: if they can neither be destroyed or created, then they are, chronologically, INFINITE. In other words, they have existed since the beginning of the universe. Or something. As I thought, I realized that the universe didn't "begin," it cycles. The big bang was but one extreme on the universe's cycle, as it went from being compressed into a hugely dence point of all the matter in the universe, until something inside exploded under the pressure, releasing all the energy, and sending all matter jetting in all directions. But it is still connected by gravity, so eventually, it will come back together, and recompress, and then explode yet again. A perfect perpetual motion machine, really, because no matter or energy is wasted, it is all locked away in the ziplock-sealed system that is the universe.

I know that seems too simple, but be it my sub-college level physics training, or the fact that it's too close to midnight to be doing high-grade physics, I can't spot the flaw. So... Take THAT Steven Hawkings!

My brain hurts now, I'm gonna rest it.

No comments: