14.7.05

Harry Potter and the Embargo of Doom

Wow. People take things way too far. It's just a book guys. I mean jeez. It's bad on both sides, really. The book people for being so secretive. The readers for going so far as to run gambling rings around the book. The governments for allowing this sort of stuff to go on (the article mentions a Canadian court which set up an embargo barring anyone who recieved an early copy from talking about it or even READING it. This is 1984 type stuff.

I honestly don't get why the release date of a book is so important. If I was an author, I'd want my fans to read the stuff as soon as possible. I wouldn't care about security and such. People know to avoid spoilers, and really, if its well written, spoilers shouldn't keep the book from being good anyway. If you wrote a piece of crap, then admit it. Don't hide behind cheesy tactics like overdrawn suspense or cliffhangers to sell your books. Write quality books, and let the people read them when you're done.

By the way, no, I don't plan on reading the book. I haven't read the others either. Maybe when I have kids that age I'll read the series to / with them, but not on my own. Fantasy magic school isn't my favorite genre. Sci-fi, now THERE's something worth reading. I'd read the adventures of Harry Potter at Starfighter Academy. Hogwarts? Please...

No comments: