3.7.05

More On My Triumphant Return

As my computer gets better and better on the road to recovery, I can bring you more and more insight into my summer exploits. Today... Eh... Movies.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: Saw it twice. Weird thing how seeing something twice can change your perspective. The first time I saw it was likewatching something amazing... I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I loved it. Even now I'll say that for a one shot movie, it wasn't too bad. Problem is that it ISN'T a one shot movie. It's part of a 6-movie saga. And it is, some might say, the most important part of that saga. It really has to work within the greater context of the other movies. And when I watched the 2nd time, no, it really didn't. It was just too heavy handing in setting up the "secrets" that made the original trilogies (Episodes 4-6 - ANH, ESB, RTJ - How should I identify them?) so great. Now everyone knows before hand that Darth Vader is in Luke Skywalker's father, Anakin Skywalker, and that Luke and Leia are sisters. It ruins the audience's perspective on Luke's adventures. You know things, IMPORTANT things, that the characters don't. So when Darth Vader is standing on the catwalk infront of a disarmed Luke, saying "I am your father," Luke screams out "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!" while you sit their and think at him "duh, it's obvious." It totally ruins the moment.

Here now is how I would have ended the movie. (Note, I would have left much of the rest of the movie the same, though Hayden's acting is kinda bad, and I have a few minor tweaks for all the movies.) After Obi-Wan is finished dueling Anakin, and leaves him there for dead, he loads Padme` into her shuttle and returns to Couruscant. There's a slight view of another shuttle landing in the background, but you don't see the Emperor gathering up Anakin (he's also never called Darth Vader outside of his mask) and repairing him, so you cannot really make a firm connection. Anyone with a brain should be able to at least theorize about it, but the doubt and uncertainty should remain for the audience at some level. *Shrugs* It'd be a little harder to work out, but I think it'd be interesting to see Obi-Wan struggle a little with the guilt of having to lie to Luke, thinking that he had killed Anakin. Or something. It would be fun to write, as well. I'll see how it all works out, and let you know.

Batman Begins - Now THIS was a great movie. I highly reccommend it to everyone out there. It shows how Batman gets all of his fancy equipment, one of the questions I always had. I mean, yeah, he's rich, but you can't just order a Batmobile from the car lot. I really liked the thematic elements involved in it, discussing fear and theatrics and such.

Okay, I gotta go stock up on things. More later.

No comments: