16.9.04

Killing Babies and Classmates

The current political situation has be a bit disheartened. If I haven't made it clear to you yet, I don't think Bush deserves another 4 years. I truely think he didn't deserve the first four years, but since I didn't vote in the last election, I don't really have much right to complain now. I will say that Bush got dealt a crappy hand, as presidencies go. He came in and the economy started plummetting. (I don't pretend to know anything about what causes economics, and I'm pretty sure that constitutionally, the Executive branch gets no effect on money, so that could indeed not be his fault.) The attacks on September 11th, all conspiracy theories aside, were being plotted long before Bush won his election, so those weren't his fault. However, he has managed to turn a national tragedy into what I see as a way to propel his (and his friends) own personal agenda. I don't think the war in Iraq was justified, and I don't like being lied to by the government on why we have to go to war, especially as my age is the group that's gonna get drafted if Bush continues escalating his military war on terror. I don't like his current plan of proactive war, because that leads to a state where as long as there are non-American-allied nations out there, we will be in perpetual war. And I wouldn't put it past him to, should he win this next election, start declaring elections to be unsafe in our current "terror-filled" environment. I realize that's a tad extreme, but I wouldn't put it past him.

This is not to say that I think Kerry is my supreme choice for President. I'm sure there are better candidates out there. Myself, for instance. But I agree with the concensus "Anybody but Bush", or "John Kerry's a douche-bag, but I'm voting for him anyway". That's why, getting back to my original point, I'm frustrated. You see, I live in Texas. I'm sure you know about how some states are red, and some are blue, and some are white. I'm in a red state... I think. It's going for Bush anyway. I was thinking about this the other day, and there is really very little that could cause Bush to lose the Lone Star State. As I ran it through my head, I realized that only one thing could cause Texans to swing away from Bush. He would have to kill babies. A LOT of babies. And even then, they'd have to be white babies, probably American. He could bomb a whole Mosque full of Iraqui infants and whatever Islam uses for nuns, and it would be spinned off as being a casualty in the war on terror. Hell, he could probably claim that the Mosque was a terrorist hot-spot, and he'd get praised for it. The idea is just a little sick, you know?

Texas being locked does sort of takes a little pressure off me, though, because no matter how I vote, it's not my fault what the next President does. But I am kind of upset, because I am really upset with Bush, and it looks like I'm not gonna get a say in kicking him out. U_U

Anyway, I'm voting Nader anyway. I just hope enough swing states swing for Kerry.

While I was searching for that movie I linked to above, I found another site with an interesting quote: " "If what I say is right, the whole US government should end up behind bars," Mr von Bulow told The Daily Telegraph at his home in Bonn. " Obviously taken out of context, it does raise the question: If the goverment is in jail, which is itself a goverment run institution, who's guarding the cells? I found that a bit funny, anyway.

I was sitting in Computer Science yesterday, and marveled at the stupidity of my fellow classmates. Granted, it is an entry level class, one I am probably more than qualified to skip, so their confusion is understandable, but some of the things they said made my head hurt. It's all highly contextual and technical, so I won't repeat the lines right here, but yeah, it makes me fear that I'm in for a very boring year.

Not having a car sucks. I realize I don't need one on campus. Well, I do now, cuz my bike sprung a leak in the back tire, but I can still walk to class, and the parking situation is terrible, but still. I need to be able to drive around. I couldn't get a ride to A-Kon, an anime convention in Dallas, that I'd been hoping to stop by. I can't go home for the weekend without planning like a month in advance. And worst of all, I CAN'T GO TO THE MOVIES!!! There are a lot of cool movies coming out. Watch as I list the ones I wanna see.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - This looks just cool. Chicks with guns, zombies, and explosions. It's a very "guy" movie, but I still wanna see it. I saw the first one, and it was actually pretty bad, but this one is looking better from what I hear from friends who have seen it.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - I love the retro feel of this movie, the way it looks like something out of the Buck Rogers kind of science fiction. It's just something you dont see much any more. Today's science fiction movies are all heavily philosophical, like the Matrix and I, Robot. I want to see more swashbuckling in my movies. Swashbuckling is fun.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innosence - Speaking of philosophical science fiction... I have admittedly not seen the first Ghost in the Shell, but everyone I hear says it's a classic anime film, with a great mix of action and thought provoking subject matter. I like swashbuckling, this is true. But I also enjoy movies that make me think. I like both, depending on my mood. And so I want to see this movie, as well as Sky Captain. Yes, I'm a tad Skitzophrenic in my movie watching.

Alright, I've rambled enough now. I don't know why the clock here is set for when I start this thing. I'm changing it to when I finished, if I can.

No comments: