29.9.04

Religion Wars

Got an e-mail from Scott Adams this morning. You know, the creator of Dilbert? Anyway, yeah, I subscribe to the Dilbert newsletter. Its fun, he sends out all the stupid phrases that he gets sent in from what he calls "In-duh-viduals." I enjoy the little bursts of cynicism whenever he sends those out. Anyway, I bring it up today because today's letter included a little note: his new book, "THE RELIGION WAR" is coming out soon.

I'm sure some of you read that and thought "What an odd name for a Dilbert book." I'd have to agree. It's not a Dilbert book, luckily. It's the sequel to his other non-Dilbert book, "God's Debris." I read that book back when it came out. It was a great read. It's not a humor book, but a philosophy book. The entire story is just one long conversation between the world's smartest man and a delivery boy. It's really very interesting, the conclusions that are brought forth by the book. I don't want to spoil it, but its really great. You should go get it. And the sequel too.

Before you go though, I just want to talk about the sequel. It takes place in the future, where the religions have become polarized to the point of global ideological war. Obviously, this future is based on a somewhat pessimistic view of current events. Unfortunately, the way things are looking, it doesn't look too far off. Of course, as I see it, America is becoming polarized within its own borders. You look around, and see people who outright HATE people with political differences. I can imagine taking those maps of the election predictions, you know, red states vs blue states, and in 10 years, overlaying that onto a map of two separate nations. The battleground states will literally be battlefields, the demilitarized zones between two warring nations. I realize that this is a bleak outlook, but really, I can see this happening in a few years. Republicans vs Democrats is an argument that has almost drawn to outright hatred of their opponants. I realy hope this is just a side effect of the election. If not, I'm moving to Australia asap.

Oh, and have you seen these WTC memorial silver dollars? Which they are selling for TWENTY DOLLARS!? I really want to see the economic repercussions of trading American currency for other American currency at a ratio of twenty to one. I'll bet its bad. Alright, I'm off. Don't get yourselves killed.

No comments: