6.3.05

Rounders

I'm watching Rounders. I dunno why. I was flipping and caught the beginning of it at 1, so I thought, eh, why not. It's got Matt Damon, Ed Norton, and Poker. How can you go wrong, right? I still say I've never seen Norton in a movie I didn't like him in. Death to Smoochie, Fight Club, the Italian Job... In China PJ and I turned on Primal Fear, the first movie with Edward Norton. We'd never seen it before, so yeah, we watch it. A-Freaking-Mazing. The man has a fucking gift. He's my favorite actor, seriously. For serious.

I checked through my email yesterday. I have a 4:15 flight into Austin, and I don't know why. Thus, another check through the archives is needed. I LOVE Gmail. It saved my ass. My flight details:
Flight: from LUBBOCK TX to HOUSTON BUSH INTL

Day and Date: Fri, 3/11/05
Flight: CO*2822
*Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES INC doing business as CONTINENTAL
EXPRESS
Class: Y
Depart: LUBBOCK TX, 4:25PM
Arrive: HOUSTON BUSH INTL, 5:59PM
Equipment: ERJ-145
Meal:
------------------------------------------------------------
Flight: from HOUSTON BUSH INTL to PHILADELPHIA

Day and Date: Fri, 3/11/05
Flight: CO 1602
Class: B
Depart: HOUSTON BUSH INTL, 6:48PM
Arrive: PHILADELPHIA, 11:00PM
Equipment: 737-800
Meal: Snack
Yay! I get a Snack! ^_^ Hmmmm. I'm glad I have this all set up. Okay... A week in New Jersey. That will be awesome. There's a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday, and a Magic PT Qualifier for a Tour Event I can't really attend, but really I know I'm not gonna get that far anyway. I'm still wondering about going at all. I don't wanna go at all. I would feel so lame. But my step brother won't go, and I don't really know anyone else in the area. Maybe one guy I can drag along, maybe. I dunno. I'm gonna try and run a booster draft outta my step-mom's house the 18th or 19th, so that should be cool. Make a little profit, I dunno. I prolly will just spend the money on more Magic cards. The circle goes on. Whee.

I made a couple of decks over the past week. One White/Blue Isochron Scepter control. Holy Day on a stick is almost always a lock. Otherwise I put a Counterspell on or even better, Memory Lapse, then stabilize the board and send out the Exalted Angel. It's pretty sub par, but if you wanna see the list, I have it written up here.

Meanwhile, Matt berated me for not making creature decks. Most of my decks are annoying combo decks. Or at least, annoying to play against. Fun to play in. You see, the way the game works, at any given point in a match, theres an aggro player and a control player. One player is putting out the theats, the other player has to answer them. That's how it works in two player games, at least. And I like being the player with the answers, because eventually, the aggro player runs outta cards, threat or otherwise. I also like drawing cards as much as possible. So, when they're spent, I got a hand full of cards for them to deal with. It's fun as shit. But everyone gets pissed. Anyway, I like being the guy in control. And my decks reflect that. Look at the last deck I mentioned. You put you're counterspell on a stick, you can play it every turn. It's stuff like that I enjoy. But it gets my opponant's pissed. I either end up not drawing the cards I need and I get overran, or I do get the cards I need to shut my opponant out of the game. It's worse in multiplayer. My idea of a multiplayer deck is a 3-card combo that wins in one turn. I love my Last Laugh deck is great. It's fun, its consistant, its explosive. The more players, the more damage it does when it goes off. But when it goes off, eveyone else feels helpless.

The point of this rambling, Matt asked me to make a creature deck. Not some weird combo deck that makes an unblockable deck huge creature, not an engine that pumps out as many little Squirrel Tokens as I need. A deck that plays creature cards, turns them sideways, and hopes they win in combat. It's tough for me. My decks are designed by starting with a core and supporting it. I pick 3-5 cards that will be the ones I want to draw, use them as four of's, decide how much land they'll need, and fill in the rest with support cards. A creature deck, though, has no core. It doesn't have a designated structure to build around. It's a mess of creatures. So I truged on. And there in is the other half of my delemma. My play group (Matt, his brother, whatever other guys happen to be wandering around) they don't even have a collection as big as mine, which is, while big to the layman's eyes, appears to me to be slim pickings. I need to draft more. I need to find money to draft, and a place to draft. But that's another story. Anyway, I'm big stack at the table. I'm the "rich kid" who's got the rares that can't be beat. I try to tell them, nah, the rare's don't make the deck, that it's all about fundamentals. I feel like such a bastard, because I HAVE the rares, and in a lot of cases, they do make the deck. It's what makes them rares, a lot of the times. Anyway. I made it, its a three color Fire's of a sort. Flametongue Kavu's and Spiritmongers always went together in my mind.

Sigh. I'm random. I need to shave.

This movie's been having the shortest commercial breaks. I swear. They give one break between each segment. It's weird. Oh, this one had 2. Whoopie. Okay, I gotta see how Matt wins back his money from the Russian. Night.

No comments: