8.3.05

WTF's A Caucasia?

Apparently, Caucasia is a real place. Who knew? Anyway, I don't like being referred to as Caucasian. I've known black people to resist the term African, because they aren't from Africa, they're native born American (or English, or what have you. I personally resist using the term African-American because then I'm stuck on what to call the same kind of person when they're from somewhere other than America. I prefer to stick with the term black, until I learn their name, at which point, I'll their name, obviously. *Shrugs*

I'm not a racist. I'm really not. I see everyone as being just another guy. I'm naturally shy around all people, so if I shy away from you in the halls, its what I always do. I really do like the Internet for the following reason: no one knows what you look like on the other end unless you want them to. By the time you do get a picture, you should have gotten the idea about what your friend is like as a person. That's how I like to judge a person. Beyond that, a person's looks are purely icing of the cake.

The point of that inane rambling is that I see someone's skin color as an identifyer, the same way I'd say that one person is taller than another person, or has different color hair. It just so happens that, at least to my eyes, a person's skin color stands out more than any other feature, especially reguarding two people of starkly contrasting colors. If I'm looking at two people from across the room, one black and one white, and I'm trying to point one out to the guy next to me, I'll say "Oh, he's the white/black guy at the other end of the room." I try to not let such things affect my actual perceptions of people, of course, and I'd like to think I'm pretty successful at it. Maybe if everyone just wore a sign with a color, a letter, a number, and a shape, each unique to them, completely random (maybe the shape would be a surname or something.) That way, if you needed to identify someone from across the room, you'd merely point out "The Blue Guy," or "Green A32 Square over there."

In any case, let it be known. I have never been to Caucasia. I do not plan on visiting Caucasia. I am not Caucasian. I am white. Better yet, I am Greg. Call me that. Nice to meet you. Bye.

2 comments:

Xaphon said...

It's more correct (according to my science lab teacher) to refer to light skinned people like yourself (or myself) as "Caucasoid" meaning "resembling caucasian". Since you are not from Caucasia, but you are obviously a descendant of one since that is where caucasians or "white" people originated (and you look like one). Similar to how Africa is where "black" people originated even though some may not be directly from there. The scientific term for the race is "Negroid" meaning "resembling negro" as "negro" is the term for the race of people indigenous to Africa. Though, for some odd reason, many prefer the term "black" and have taken offense to the word "negro" or "negroid", even though it is a correct term. Thats just what I have witnessed though. I personally don't care if people call me white, caucasian, caucasoid, or jewish; since if I didn't, it would really suck trying to figure out what race I technically am for the most part (though it probably is caucasoid, I still am, as far as I can tell, a mixture of virtually every single race. A human mutt).
In any case, I am not racist in any way and believe there should be less tension between races and less social division between human beings(its really annoying me how every time I say the word "black", numerous "black" people - negroids - immediately conclude I'm being racist even if I was just talking about the color of my clothing; and how when I say "white" or "cracker" it's immediately assumed as a racist comment by caucasoids and I get a volley of racial slurs for jews). I see people's personalities more than their skin color and identify them by what their face looks like rather than what race they are or other things like height or weight (though the latter two can help at times).



(Where did the word "kike" come from anyway?)

Greg said...

*(Where did the word "kike" come from anyway?)*

Uh... I don't know. Why do you ask?