8.12.03

My Plan

How I plan on living forever and never actually WORKING -

Step one - Write the Great American Novel. It must be intricate and compelling, set in an interesting universe and hinting at expansion.
This one I've already done, sort of. I have the idea for a great novel in my head, as well as several sequels (more on that later).

Step two - Release book to popular acclaim, wait for movie offer to come in.
I believe this step is just inevitable.

Step three - Supervise movie production. Make sure it remains true to the original intent while still appealing to a broad demographic.
See, this is where a lot of movie ideas have failed in the past. Like Jurassic Park 3 (not really based on a book, but still), that was a terrible movie. Actually, the Lost World would be a better example. They threw in so much stuff so it would appeal to the average movie goer, but sacrificed a good deal of what was in the book to do so, and lost in that. JP3 was just an extending of that way of thinking ("Who needs a good story when you have lots of CGI dinosaurs?") Doing it my way will not only make for a better movie, but also increase book sales after it comes out.

Step four - MERCHANDISING. Sell action figures and coloring books and let the good times roll.
This, apparently, cannot be overdone. Again, take Jurassic Park. Though the first movie was really just a bunch of people running from dinosaurs for an hour and a half, the toys for the movie included "Net Throwing Doctor Grant", "Rifle Action Ian Malcom", "Grenadere Lexie Hammond", and even "Battle-Damaged Trike, with Karate Chop Action!" The real surprise, for me, though, was the Jurassic Park COLORING BOOKS aimed at 3-5 year olds, based on a PG-13 movie that would scare the crap out of anyone that young.

Step Five - Sequels. Wash Rinse and Repeat.
Like I said, I already have the sequels lined up in my head. I'm trying to keep them a secret, to keep up the suspense, but I'm really terrible at that, so if you bugged me about it, you could probably hear what they're all about, or even get yourself written into one (like you, Britt).
So, there you have it. 5 easy steps so unlimited wealth, all without doing any real work. I'm set. Off to start writing... Something else. Laters.

No comments: