9.12.03

Randomness

Okay, take two for today -

I had a cool day, full of randomness. I like this kind of day, where you don't know what you're going to be doing from one minute to the next. It really beats the hum-drummery of school every day. So, here's how it went.

Originally, I was going to have a nice car ride with my mom and aunt to deliver our passport papers for my trip to China. A nice 45 minute trip to log in on FFTA. Of course, upon filling out the forms, we found that only I could actually go through with the process. So, I got to go by myself to the post office. There was a chance to get in a few battles, one while I waited for my number to come up, another while, after I realized that I was waiting in the wrong line, I waited AGAIN, and a third as my paper work was completed. I was impressed by the fact that the process in fact did not last any longer than a battle. That is good in my book.

So, after the passport process went off without a hitch (despite all my mom's fears), I decided to celebrate with a trip to the mall. Actually, I had been planning for it since before I left. I grabbed four of my unused GBA games (including the extra FFTA cartridge I spoke of earlier) and was planning on trading them in for an Christmas present for some kid through my church. I don't know everything about it, but it felt good to be able to turn my used games into someone else's gift. I was planning to sell my games at $5 each, giving me exactly twenty to spend on one of the PS2 "greatest hits" games, which are proven classics (I actually had sort of decided on Final Fantasy X). Well, it turns out I had GREATLY underestimated my games value. After the clerk added in a bonus for having 4 games traded in at once, I ended up with about $58 in store credit. I'm not one to leave that stuff unspent, so I grabbed myself 3 games, as well. My own copy of FFX, plus Kingdom Hearts, a game I rented a while back and still have my save file from the one hour of work I'd done on it. Also, I picked up, for a mere $6.50, a copy of Tribes 2, which my pal Dan has been bugging me to get for the online play. So, I hope you're happy. Actually, I really am. Tribes will let me play with my friends some more, and Kingdom Hearts always appealed to me, being a mix of Disney and Final Fantasy characters. Donald Duck is the coolest wizard ever. FFX, so far (I've played just an hour of it) looks FANTASTIC to my eyes, which were raised on a Sega Game Gear and that level technology. Also, 4 games for 4 games, plus a bit from a gift card of unknown value (I didn't think it would have enough TODAY, but it had at least $13 on it, apparently), seems a fair trade. This is the first visit I made to EB without actually shelling out any cash for stuff.

One other thought ran through my head today: IT IS WINDY HERE. On my drive out to the post office, a huge dust cloud appeared in front of me. And my car was being buffeted around by the unusually strong gusts. I experienced a similar thing on my drive through the plains from Amarillo back to Austin, but I had been assured that no such gusts would exist here in the hill country. Well, so much for that. And of course, I'm driving my big white VAN, which has the aerodynamics of a box. Which is really pretty much all it is, only on wheels. Oh well. I suppose I'd rather be in a 2 ton brick than a half pound ferarri in these winds. Cars that fly are not nearly as cool when you cant control.
Okay, that's all for tonight. See you tomorrow. Wish me luck on my finals tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

No comments: