4.2.05

Some People Push Back

I've been reading this off and on since I heard about it on O'Reilly. It's a gut reaction written on the morning of September 11th 2001. It basically says that the attacks of that morning were, well, what they were: a reaction to decades of American attacks on the sovreignty and peoples of Middle Easter nations. Churchhill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, relates the victims of the attack as being responsible for the suffering of the Arab States. It's a fairly interesting read

The truth of the essay, however, isn't what brought it to my attention. Bill O'Reilly brought it up. "A University is inviting a speaker who wrote an essay justifying the terrorists and called the victims of 9-11 Nazis!" he said. My attention was piqued. Why would the university invite someone like this to speak. O'Reilly never said why. He merely insulted Churchhill for writing what he did, and a few things he didn't.

Oh well. I've learned through experience that when Bill talks about his "no-spin zone" what he really means is "no spin except the one I put on it." So, my roommate and I looked up the guy, found his essay, and have been following the story closely. It's pretty sad that what he wrote over three years ago, on what a great deal of the nation would call the most emotional day they'd had in a while, is coming back to bite him in the ass. *Shrugs.* I'm a bit dissapointed in the reaction of people. I'm also a tad pissed with O'Reilly's refusal to admit that he is the reason that Churchhill's carreer is now in jeopardy and everyone hates him. *Sighs...* I'm gonna go, I just felt this was an interesting issue, and agree with him or not, (and I personally do) he doesn't deserve to be fired for expressing his opinion.

No comments: