20.4.05

My Writing Backlog

I've recently noticed I have a serious backlog of writing works in need of completion. For instance:

G.S. Calista hit a stand still... I know where it needs to go, I just can't quite figure out how to get there. I'm sure I'll get there.

My third 'Detective Greg' story is half translated from the bastion of AIM-sp33k it was birthed in, and I need to finish that sooner or later.

I've got, I believe, part one and half of part two written and waiting somewhere for a three part story called 'Dark-Noon', the story of a indiginous population reacting to an Earth colony, told based on the occurance of a full moon, an event that, due to some strangeness in orbits, only occurs once every 7 or so years for the planet.

I have in my head still the survivors of a massive attack by a Sky-net analog, and how they survive and so forth. I think it's a good universe to write stories in, if I can just get off my lazy bum and create them.

(On a slight tangent there, I noticed that I'm much better at creating places and characters than I am at creating a story / conflict. It's very frustrating to have to write a story which goes, "Bob and Jeff were friends. One day, they found some money. They went to the store and bought a comic book. The end." Or something like that. I can create an interesting universe, but the conflict within is much more difficult. I refer you all to the story I wrote on the blog's first anniversary. Perfectly interesting universe, but about half way through I realized that nothing was happening. Greg (the character in the story; I have a problem with writing myself in stories) wasn't doing anything, so I threw in the robots at the end. I'm nearly afraid they're tacked on. I guess it worked that time, but it happens to me more often than not that I'll get a good idea for a story-telling universe and nothing to do in it. That's why I want to go into game design. Populate a universe with characters, and then leave a player to explore and cause his own conflict. I'm sure one or more player could enjoy that.)

Okay, enough with the aside. I mentioned earlier that I was toying with the idea of writing to the dinner alluded to in my insane convo a few posts down. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of it, except I again ran into the problem of no conflict. People come for the dinner, and it is an INTERESTING dinner, but hardly eventful. Then I got the idea of having an outsider come in, and see how she would react to it. I'm still working on that idea, but it is the kind of story I would write in an evening, once I have the sequence of events drawn out. So I guess we'll all look forward to that.

Also, all the pictures from the previous post, and James' mention of the play "The Emperor's New Clothes," has given me the weirdest idea. True, no one wants to see Palpatine in his wrinkly old birthday suit, but... "The Emperors New Clones." I don't quite know what it's about yet, and I think that's a good thing.

Okay, I have a laundry list. Maybe one of these days I'll get to work on some of it.

No comments: