25.1.05

Greg Debates Getting A Mac

Dammit, the wind seems to always be against me. No matter where I ride my bike to on campus, I always end up with a headwind. It makes NO sense. You all think I'm nuts, but it's true. No matter where I go, I'm always going into the wind, and when I go back, the wind has completely changed direction, so my return trip is no better. Wait, I said I was gonna do something else in this...

I think I need a Macintosh. Laptop, probably, I still want at least part of a desktop to boot into Windows for gaming. But I dunno, the idea of a cute little iBook or something for when I'm on the go... Nothing as powerful (or power hungry) as my HP, which I would prolly also keep. I tinkered around in the Mac set up, and most of my distate for it is unfamiliarity. I don't like that which I don't understand; a reasonable reaction. I might spend some time in the computer lab just to get a feel for the set up, or something. The one button mouse thing really bugs me, but I should be able to use any old USB mouse, so that's not an issue. I can get FireFox for it and that should run semi-uniformly.

One real issue would have to be the document editing. I'd need to find a way to transfer my stories and homework and such back and forth, ideally using something that does .doc, since thats what everyone else seems to use. I had enough of being the odd format out though Middle and High School, where the schools had MS Office and I was stuck with the Corel Word Perfect Suite. x_x The two hate each other. Always have, always will. I don't wanna be a part of that any more. Oh hey. I just checked, and the eRaider site offers Office 2004 and other stuff. Upon further thinking, that doesn't mean a damn thing, because there's no telling whether or not it's compatible with MS Office. *Shrugs* I'll look into it. I really don't want an uberpowerful comp for this. Just a 12"er I can watch DVD's and movie files on, browse the web, chat, but I don't need any gaming power on it. Honestly, I don't really have many games, so I don't know what's keeping me from switching over to Mac for my home computer, aside from the preference to Windows. *Shrugs* Stupid brand loyalty. Someone teach me Linux. ^_^;

Oh well, I think I'll just see whichever is cheaper when it comes time to get such a device, pound for pound. I wouldn't mind learning a Mac, though. I've heard a lot of good things about Macs through anecdotal evidence. And there really must be a reason they can survive under the crippling ubiquity of Windows. That settles it. I'm going iBook (or powerBook, I guess) shopping after class. Speaking of which, I GOTTA GO NOW!!

No comments: