12.12.05

Dodging Bullets Like Neo

They've been showing the Matrix on TNT lately. I know too many people who haven't seen the Matrix yet. For reference, too many in this instance is "any number greater than zero." So yes, I'm looking at you. See this awesome instance of badassery quickly before your chance subsides.

Moving on, though. Last night I went to sleep around 3. I had my next morning all planned out. I set my alarm for 11, which would be a good time to wake up, get some breakfast, take a shower, and study a little before my 1:30 Calculus final. I slept really well. Going to sleep after 2am tends to make me a little sleepy, who knew? I've even got a special bedtime mix of supposedly quieter, gentler music, stuff that'll help me go to sleep without having to listen to silence, the squeaking of whatever mechanical components are malfunctioning at the moment, and the insessant ringing in my ears. So yeah, music helps. I don't listen to it when Matt's in, because despite being able to sleep through anything, he can't actually GET to sleep with music going. *Shrugs.*

Anyway, like I said, I had it all planned out. I woke up at 11 and started to check my e-mail, as usual. Then I noticed the little Rainlendar pop-up: "Calculus Final - Due in -32 minutes." Yup, that's a NEGATIVE 32. The test started at 10:30, not 1:30. I was a fucking half hour late just from sleeping. I didn't eat. I didn't study. I didn't write out a little 5x3 note card to help me remember things. No time. I ran (well, fast walked; I was still a little sleepy) to the physics building, and rushed into the test. 45 minutes late, but better late then never. I managed to get the answer to every question I knew, and a few I didn't. I'm fairly confident with my results, don't worry. Despite having half time. Really, no one ever uses the whole time anyway. But yeah, I was partially worried that I would be flat out refused for being so late. Luckily this wasn't true, but...

The other day Matt revealed that he has the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD. We were watching the beginning a few days ago, and that's why, as I walked towards my uncertain test, the following words were running through my head:
In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitch Hiker's Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words Don't Panic inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.
This is what I was thinking to myself as I walked there. "Don't Panic." Panicking never helped anyone with anything. So I didn't, and I feel that I'm a fairly better person for it. ^_^

No comments: