11.12.05

Found Something To Entertain Myself

I got both the X-Men movies. I think I may watch at least one of them today, I haven't seen X2 since it was in theaters. I was testing them out, though, and I hadda install a new audio codec, so I'll need to restart my computer I think. First though, this:

Da Rules:
1. Leave a comment saying you want to be interviewed.
2. I'll reply and give you five questions to answer.
3. You'll update your LJ (or whatever) with the five questions answered.
4. You'll include this explanation.
5. You ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed. And it just keeps going, and going, and going....
So, here are my five questions, courtousy of Umimi herself:

1) Who would win a pie eating contest out of your robot and mine?
I'd have to giveit to your robot. Mine may be able to level a city faster, but yours just looks hungrier.

2) What was the best thing that happened in China? xD
Okay, so I was at this toy store type place in Beijing, and my mom had given me 100 Yuan (about $20 USD) to spend on something. I was looking through the booths, and didn't find anything very interesting, when all of a sudden, I saw it. A box set of Landfill, the four bot set of construction trucks from the Robots In Disguise line. Each one went for about $15 each when they sold seperately, and even after being put into a box set, and marked down considerably due to being from an older, less popular set, state-side the box would still go for about $40. Twice what I had. Just to be sure, I asked the nice lady at the counter how much she was asking. "250 Yuan."

"Ah," I replied, "I was afraid of that. No thanks." And I turned to walk away.

Now, in most Western shops, that would be the end of it. Retailers have set their prices, and buyers either pay it or don't. In China, though, they are much more open to haggling. "What, you no like?" called the shopkeeper. "250 is good price."

She was right, it was. I tried to make it as clear as I could through the language barrier. "Yes, I know it's a good price, but I just don't have that much." She didn't buy it, I guess. She lowered her price for me, but kept it still above my 100 yuan mark, so I had to keep saying no, "I only have 100 yuan." I eventually started laughing while talking it got so rediculous. Eventually, I was getting impatient at being stuck in this one spot, with so many other booths out there. I reached into my pocket and fished out the 100 yuan bill. Verbal language wasn't working, so I went for a visual representation. "This is all I have with me." I tried to say it slowly and carefully so she would understand.

She looked at the bill and sighed. "Okay, one hundred yuan." At this point I was really weirded out. I had been trying to leave, not trying to bargain. Never the less, I had ended up with a toy for less than half the marked price. And THAT's the best thing that happened to me in China.

3) Avez-vous un violet poisson? o_O
No, but I have a Red one and a Blue one, like in the book. I'm trying to get them to mate.

4) What's the worse christmas present you ever got and why?
Some weird bike lights. Like, you were supposed to put them on your spokes or something, and I never wanted to. They just looked silly.

5) What was the last dream you remember having and did it involve chickens?
I had some weird dream last night. I was with my entire family, both Mom's side and Dad's, everyone there, including one kid I didn't know who was Dad's "other" step son. *Shrugs.* It made no sense, nothing really happened. I ran around in circles, and at one point I was Aeon Flux for some reason. In the end, we decided to rent a movie, and have it delivered, and it couldn't get here because there was a road block or something. When the delivery boy got to our house to tell us he couldn't get to our house, I looked out the door and noticed that there was a Blockbuster Video across the street for some reason, and it had a built in movie theater, for $6 a seat. Score. I was dissapointed to wake up and realize that it wasn't there.

"And THAT's why they call me Bender the Magnificent!" - Bender, the Magnificent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo! I loved that China story. It made me laugh, once again. XD

And even though the dream had no chicken in it, it amused me. :D

YAY FOR GREG~! o_O

Anonymous said...

I WANNA BE INTERVIEWED!

Greg said...

Mkay... Five questions, eh, Jackie?

1. If you could ask any girl out, and you knew they would say yes no matter what, who would you pick and why?

2. How's Clara's present coming along?

3. What's the last movie you saw?

4. What do you want to do with me when I get down to Austin?

5. What is the difference between a duck?