12.9.05

AU - Some!

That's supposed to be pronounced "Awesome". It's a play on the abbreviation AU, for Astronomical Units. For those of you not in the know, an AU is defined as the average distance between Earth and Sol (aka the Sun, or "That big bright yellow thing outside")
Wedge - "Sithspit! What is that?!"
Wes - "That's the sun boss, it's after dawn."
Wedge - "Well turn it off, it offends me."
Wes - "It's about a hundred fifty klicks up. You feeling okay, Commander?"
Wedge - "Yes, now get in your X-Wing and blow it up."
I need to find that book and re-read it, it's good (The Starfighters of Adumar, by Aaron Allston, if you're curious).

1 AU = 149,597,870.691 kilometers - a pretty arbitrary number, right? See, this all gets back to Metric vs Standard measurements. The distance of an AU was decided in the same way that an inch or a foot was. Some guy in charge pretty much chose something he saw and decided to make it a unit of distance. But the AU isn't a very useful measurement outside of the Sol Solar System. When we colonize other systems, using a distance measurement is based off of one local standard is going to be foolish.

Okay, that rant is pointless. Moving on, I'd like to voice my displeasure with what's going on in Louisiana. I remember first hearing the reports about how the town had turned into a war zone. A war zone. In America. I was shocked. I'm not gonna point a finger. I feel that several people have dropped their respective balls here. And for once, I'm not gonna give you a buncha links. If you wanted to read news, you could find your own stuff. I AM mad specifically at Michael Brown, former head of FEMA (I heard about the resignation while writing this) for his comments that he hadn't heard many reports about the events going on in New Orleans. You should not be getting your news DURING an interview. It's one thing to admit that you don't know how bad things are until you hear it from the TV. It's another entirely to say that you simply werent paying attention at all. That is simply unacceptable. I'm glad he's resigned. And now I'm done. And horny. I'll go deal with that shortly.

No comments: