12.9.05

How To Report A Power Outage

I dunno why I've been watching CNN so much, but it is something I can watch while listening to music (still the Kingdom Hearts playlist), and I'm glad I did today. I turned it on to see the opening of Robert's confirmation hearings, which seemed interesting, and then they broke away to Michael Brown's resignation. Then, in somewhat more urgent news, they told us about some spotted power outages in downtown L.A. That's Los Angeles, not the LA for Louisiana, who I'd think have far worse problems than a blackout. A few things struck me as odd:

While interviewing a correspondant in the L.A. office, they switched to a broader picture of the city. It was a black screen, except for the word "Live" in the upper right corner, and I thought, yes, that's what a blackout looks like.

Several times the people in the L.A. office mentioned that they, along with a hospital, had only a brief power loss, which says to me that they have back-up generators in the building. They didn't mention anything about such generators, so I wasn't sure whether they had generators or if power actually did come on.

The real thing that got on my nerves, though, was when I switched to Fox News. This was a mistake, and I only did it to try and be "fair and balanced". (Also, I watched Outfoxed yesterday, and so I wanted to see what Fox was up to.) Once there, I was treated to a somewhat more panicy voice, and definitely a large emphasis on how likely it was that terrorists had attacked. (The idea was "very"). I went back to CNN, and the biggest worry they were talking about was that the traffic lights were off, and that could be bad. And of course, CNN reported about how the Department of Water and Power is very strong about terrorism is not being considered as a cause now. Stupid Fox News and their fear-based news reporting.

Also, note to CNN - having Wolf Blitzer stand in front of those 4 linked screens while the helicoptor camera rotates around behind him makes me dizzy.

Finaly, if anyone knows how I could link 4 TV's up like that with some hardware base, that would be awesome.

No comments: