6.9.05

James Issues, Part the Last

Background can be found in both my blog (here) and James' (here). I don't want to bore you with the details. I'm sure I already have some of you. It looks like this is the end - a final comment on James' GreaterJournal.
Meh, I'm sure you won't answer this, but I'm not "defending myself for the sake of debate." I'm flat out defending myself. You have said you have some problem with how I live my life. Apparently its "obvious" to you, and so you can't be bothered to explain it to me. This helps me not at all.

"Greg, do all twenty-year-olds in your college watch the Disney channel on a regular basis? I seriously doubt it. That's something you should work on if you want to be less annoying."

Thus far that's the only 'implication' I've seen from you - I like children's things and that is bad in some way. I've brought up many times that it's not bad. In fact, I derive enjoyment from it, on both the base level it was entended for children, and on a more mature "gimp-spider" level. Adult Swim has build it's line up on being made up of "children's shows" given a mature spin. Space Ghost: Coast to Coast is hilarious. Sealab 2021 is great. Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law is excellent. All of those are based off of childrens shows. Does that make them childish? Does it make me childish for similarly enjoying the Transformers with an adult viewpoint?

I watch one show on the Disney Channel. Kim Possible. I defy you to find something better on at 12:30 on a weeknight. Granted, I think part of your problem is that you don't have Disney, and have never seen the show. You really should. If you want, I can arrange for Matt to send you some episodes he downloaded. It is a good show. Even if you don't like it, that doesn't invalidate my opinion. And really, that's all your argument is. Your opinion of my tastes.

I'm not saying you should like what I like. I've never said that. But you still have to respect my opinions. That's called living in a society. What's childish is running away from a problem. Especially when you have to deal with person on a more than passing basis, like you do with me. Even if you don't need me to drive you around (I'll believe the licence when I see it), we are still going to have to interact, and I'd rather not have this argument hanging over us.

I'll reiterate: I don't have any problem with you, or the way you live your life. And if I did, I'd have little problem telling you it, so we could deal with it, and move on. In this case, though, you are the one with the problem. You have decided there is something wrong with me, and rather than work through it like a responsible adult, you have yelled that I am wrong for no other reason than you say so, and when I refused to agree with you, you assumed I wasn't worth talking to. THAT is the aspect of your behavior that is childish, James. Children give up when something gets hard. Adults solve their issues with other people. Adults work things out. Adults accept that there are things existing outside of their own worldview which might be acceptable to others, even if it's not to themselves.

It seems like I'm alone on this because it's just you and me going back and forth on this. First of all, YOU started it when you insulted things I like on a public forum. I have every right to defend myself against your slander. Secondly, I've even though your comment board seems to have been our exclusive domain, I've been talking to mutual friends. Ask Derek. Ask Mel. Ask your girlfriend Kaylee, for crying out loud. They may not like the things I like, but they do agree with me that it's not a bad thing for me to like them.

James, the bottom line here, the final word, if you will, is that I don't have a problem with you, and I'd rather you didn't have one with me. I've done everything I can to extend the olive branch, but you've gotta meet me half way. And you HAVE to, unless you'd like to lose any support you have in the family at all. I really do like you James. I don't know why everyone hates you in the family. I've always considered you a friend. If you were some random person on the Internet, I would have dropped this from the beginning. I've kept it up because I want to keep a friend. I don't want to lose one over a stupid arguement. You KNOW it's stupid. Don't let it ruin our friendship. I don't want to be in that house without a friend any less than you do.
Don't think you're off the hook, James. We have stuff hanging between us, and I seriously just want to clear it out. I'm not meaning to antagonize you. I'm simply trying to defend the insultes you've levied against me. Of course, I doubt you're reading this. It's sad, really.

Anyway, to the rest of you, I hope to have this thing moved behind me, and in any case, I won't sully your noses with it any more. I just posted this one because I thought it was an important writing of mine, and I don't have much doubt in my mind that James will delete it or something soon, so now it's saved for posterity. The truth is saved. That's my greater purpose. The truth. I don't like the idea of people deleting posts that they don't agree with.

No comments: