16.9.05

IT'S A MAGIC WAND!!!!

Bibbity bobbity boo. Or Boo.
Or something. Anyway, Nintendo's new controller is going to be able to tell where it is and how you're holding it and such. Largo, among other people, may have trouble with this system.

Seriously, I think I linked to an article I read a while back about this kinda thing, but I'm not sure, and I'm not linking it now in either case. The gist of the article was that Nintendo's attempts at "revolutionizing" the games industry only serve to make 3rd party developers frustrated by having to adapt to a radically different control scheme. For instance, there's an upcoming Transformers movie, which I'm sure I've mentioned. It's going to be marketed in the same way that other superhero movies have been. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc, they all had merchandizing up the wazoo.
Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made. Spaceballs-the T-shirt, Spaceballs-the Coloring Book, Spaceballs-the Lunch box, Spaceballs-the Breakfast Cereal, Spaceballs-the Flame Thrower.
Anyway, my point is that the Transformers video game for PS3 will be basically the same as the X-Box360 and the PSP. Even the DS will probably have something that simply overlays a map on the extra screen and sticks to simply the main control buttons. But the Revolution? How do you use a little midair joystick to control a Giant Fighting Robot? If you were a developer and had designed a game that works great with the other standard control interfaces, would you really want to have to start entirely from scratch on the Revolution port? I wouldn't.

Of course, I'm still leaning heavily towards getting a DS, but the Revolution has just de-sold itself to me. Unless I can get it for $150, in which case I will simply use it to play the old Gamecube Pokemon games. I gotta catch them all!!!

No comments: