13.10.05

Building Up A Rampage

This is a nifty comic. Of course, the only reason I linked it is cause I wanted to open a "BlogThis" window, which is the best feature I ever saw for Firefox. *Nods.* But it is a good comic. It's made my bookmarks folder.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to write tonight was twofold, maybe more. First, I have a paper to write for english due tonight, which will not be fun, and I was not in a writing mood today. Secondly, and more interestingly, something came up in the school newspaper today.

Apparently, some English priest denounced Harry Potter publicly lately. Big whoop, another fanatic crying out against Wizards and Witchcraft and such evils. But the twist is, he didn't have any complaints against the magic. Instead, he accused Harry Potter of sticking his wand where it didn't go. Anyway, that triggered a couple articles on the topic in the Daily Toreador's opinion page. One pro, one con. Both focused strictly on the movies. I found it hard to believe that there's no one on the school newspaper that's read the actual books, but anyway, I read those, and had to fire back a counter opinion. To both of them. That's right, Harry Potter is neither gay nor straight. And no, before you ask, he's not bi, either. Just check it out.
While a simple reading of the latest book will tell that Harry does have something of an eye for the ladies (He hooks up with Ron's sister, Ginny), I think that there is a larger issue both articles have missed. Harry Potter is neither homo- or hetero-sexual. He is Asexual. Just look at any other similar epic series, which undoubtably the Harry Potter series is. Consider the quests of Luke Skywalker and Frodo Baggins. Both of them extremely eligible bachelors in their own rights, one being a valiant warrior and the other single-handedly saving Middle Earth. At the end of each of their journeys, the hero ends up alone. Leia got with Han while Luke became a celibate Jedi Master, and Frodo, for all the talks about he and Sam being more than friends, ends up leaving his home behind as well, joining Gandalf and the elves across the see, far from any other halfling. Even Neo, the Matrix's own personal savior, is left alone at the end, with Trinity done in by an I-beam. To put it simply, the hero's life is a lonely one. Harry Potter doesn't have time to worry about girls (or guys). He's got a world to save.
(Edit: Yeech Gods that was ugly looking. I fixed it. No more weird wrapping.)

Of course, the point of all this is that, hey, don't fret over Harry's sexuality. It's just a book, and the fact that it IS a book, the kind of book it is, and the character that Harry has, precludes any need for arguments about who Harry sleeps with.

Sigh... I got an email back, and they told me it was worth printing, cept they didn't have some details. x_x... It's a terrible opinion piece. I'm really ashamed of it. You've all read the things I write. I can do much better than this. Oh well. I'll link to the article if it gets printed tomorrow.

In other news.... Magic tournament tomorrow. Type 2. I'm considering what deck to use. Should I give Tooth and Nail one last go, knowing that it's probably hated out of the format there (the players here look a little more serious than the ones back at DSC in Lakeline)? Or should I swing in with the Mono-Black deck and see what all it can do to a semi-unsuspecting field? I think I'll go with the Tooth deck this week. If Matt feels like joining in, I'll lend him the Mono-Black. It IS free, after all.

Speaking of gaming, I watched an episode of the new Yugioh GX show today. Still the same stupid game, but I was sort of intrigued by the format. In the origial show, just about every single game they played was in some way "for the fate of the world." Just like when you watch Mortal Kombat, you know none of the heroes are going to ever lose, you know Yugi can't lose, because it would mean the bad guys destroy the world, or wahteever the threat du jour is. But GX is just some kid trying to work his way through duelests academy, which is like Harry Potter's magic school, in that they specialize in some niche thing, and completely avoid academics, as near as I can tell. I would kill to go to a Magic:TG school like that. It would be awesome. But yeah, the reason this works more for me as a show is because each game they play is just that: a game. The good guy doesn't HAVE to win. If he loses, oh well. It keeps the result pretty well up in the air. Don't get me wrong, the show is still pretty awful. Poor dubbing, terrible plot lines, and the rules of the game are simply awful. But it's got that one thing going for it, at least. And it DID make me want to go to a Magic University. That would be killer.

Lessee... The ankle is healing somewhat. I wish I had some Neosporin for it. I kept in a bit today, even when Matt took my laptop to try and use it for GPS. Turns out that I don't have the right connector for it. But yeah, it gave my computer a good solid restart, and me a chance to catch up on the latest Negima.

I'm starting to ramble. I wanted to add in the following quotes from AIM, simply because they're that rediculous. Enjoy
CAR Riedmann: ickkkk my mom's watching High Tension. I want to puke.
Effervescence 34: never heard of that, what is it?
CAR Riedmann: Horror Movie.
CAR Riedmann: They took it out of theaters ... NC-17 Bloodier then eff.
Effervescence 34: yikes
CAR Riedmann: Nice, he cuts off the girls head and well. Forces oral sex?
Effervescence 34: exciting
CAR Riedmann: It'd be interesting?
Effervescence 34: heh
CAR Riedmann: deep-throat with no choking!
Effervescence 34: o_o
Effervescence 34: if you deep throat a decapitated head... isnt your cock gonna be sticking out in the open air?
Effervescence 34: eewww
CAR Riedmann: lmao.
Effervescence 34: so wassup?
dysthymicquokka: homework
Effervescence 34: exciting
dysthymicquokka: extreamly
dysthymicquokka: im going to orgasm just thinking about it
Effervescence 34: dont get the paper wet
dysthymicquokka: you dont think the teacher would like that?
Effervescence 34: depends
Effervescence 34: is he straight/she lesbian?
Effervescence 34: or bi, in either case
dysthymicquokka: its a she, and i doubt she is lesbian
Effervescence 34: hrmm
dysthymicquokka: but maybe it will just be so potent because algebra is so arousing it would make her lesbian
Effervescence 34: these numbers look so wrong, but the smell so good!
Effervescence 34: o_o
Effervescence 34: i suppose its worth a shot
dysthymicquokka: haha
Effervescence 34: lemme know how it turns out, i'll remember to masturbate during tests
Effervescence 34: o_0
dysthymicquokka: haha
dysthymicquokka: okay
Also, just fyi, Hurricanes go counterclockwise. So if you need to outrun one, run in circles to the left. *Nods.*

No comments: