27.10.05

When You Live In Spain, It Should Be Impossible To Not Know Spanish

I'm watching the Mask of Zorro. For those of you who've never seen it, well, this may contain spoilers. You've been warned. Okay, so it takes place in Mexico, but everyone just speaks English. And I think, oh, okay, it's a storytelling device to get the point across without subtitles.

And then I get to this scene. Elena (Catherine Zeta-Jones) is the daughter of the original Zorro. Except that she was kidnapped from him by some evil Spanish nobleman guy, and taken away to Spain, until just about the beginning of the movie. And she shows up in Mexico, and is like "I know this flower, but it only grows in Mexico," or "I recognize you, old Zorro in disguise, but you've never been to Spain." So yeah, she starts to catch on that something's amiss.

And then the break through. An old merchant lady recognizes her, and gives her a gift. When Elena tries to return it, the lady is speaking in Spanish, and has her grand-daughter or something translate for her. And I'm like... "Wait... She's lived in either Spain or Mexico all her life. Why doesn't she know Spanish?"

Anyway, that's my big point. Catherine Zeta-Jones is SUCH a dumbass that even the characters she plays don't know their national Languages. I mean yeah, I can understand that the daughter of a noble-man in Europe would know English. But she should also know SPANISH if you're gonna live in SPAIN! If your father is a Spanish Nobleman, how can you NOT know Spanish? AGH!!!!

*My Head Asplode*

No comments: