18.10.05

Concerns

This is what I wrote for todays "TTopic Post" for english:

Today's class was really helpful to me, which is honestly not always something I can say. Doing peer reviews for this essay had been somewhat frustrating. All the paper's I'd read claimed that Shah's book was a cry for help, telling everyone how horrible the people in Afghanistan had it. I think that this couldn't be farther from the truth, though. She isn't trying to bring the conditions of the country to the public light. She's simply trying to come to terms with that part of her own life. This is not a factual, look at what happens in Iraq book. Rather, it's very introspective, on Shah's inner struggle to unite East and West within herself. That said, when I looked at the papers I was supposed to critique, the first thoughts in my head were very disparaging about the writers. I tried my best to be impartial towards the topic, but it was hard to avoid putting in a “I think you did this wrong here” or a “re-read this passage, and look for this instead”. When I got to the fourth peer paper I nearly lost it. I had to vent my frustration with the amounts of (what I perceived to be) wrong opinions at a friend before I could write that critique. I addressed this concern in class, and actually got a dialog going, I realized that what the students are supposed to be doing is not determining what the actual true purpose of the book is. Rather, the goal is to put forth a thesis and back it up with evidence from the book. Whether their thesis is right or not isn't the issue. My primary concern should be, and will be from now on, about what is used to back up the thesis.
Just thought it should be saved or something.

No comments: