20.11.05

Magical Dealings

Last night I played a couple of multiplayer games of magic, thanks to AIM's chat function. Unfortunately, I was using my red/white weenie deck, which is great at killing off one player, but not as good against multiple opponants. It's quick, but not enough long-term gas. Oh well. So I got my ass handed to me by a Kaldra token, but I managed to pretty much kill him off in exchange. I realized that most of my competitive decks are really just focused for one-on-one matches, and don't have the extra "oomph" to last through a multiplayer game. I thought for a while and eventually I realized that I have a couple of decks that are much better suited for multiplayer.

The first one is a casual combo deck I made a while ago, when I discovered I had 4 Last Laughs and nothing to do with them. It uses Last Laugh, along with pro-Black creatures and Sphere of Grace to make the Laugh one-sided, and then some massive form of removal (I used to use Desolation Angel until I got some Armageddons) to trigger a massive, board-killing, life-decimating Laugh. The more players, the more lands/creatures, the better. It's a thing of beauty, especially because before I draw my kill card, no one wants to do anything for fear of setting off Laugh, pretty much locking the game for me to draw Armageddon.

After that, I have an old one, one I made back in the far-off days of Apocalypse. I found myself with 4 Armadillo Cloaks, 4 Soul Links, and 2 Spiritmongers. That's right, I have a cheesy lifegain deck. The mana is absolutely horrible, being not only 3 colors, but having almost all of its useful creatures at 5 mana. But if I can get the mana to work, it's the best. I recently cheesed out and put in 4 Thrashing Wumpuses, AKA the best Armadillo Cloak target on Earth. He starts thrashing, and you do not wanna be on the other side of that. And that thing in particular makes him a beating in multiplayer. Even if he doesn't manage to kill anyone in a 3 player game, each activation is still at least a 3 point life gain for me, just between him and the players. Any other creatures on the field are just gravy at that point.

Either one of these decks would be stellar in multiplayer, be it free for all or Two Headed Giant. Anyone wanna build the partner deck for that one? ^_^

In other news, Passion (the Kingdom Hearts 2 theme?) is available for download. Check it out here.

No comments: